Located in the science and technology heartland of Canada, the Centre for Intelligent Antenna and Radio Systems (CIARS) has been established to provide researchers in Canada and around the world with an inspiring exploration and development environment for innovation in all aspects of electromagnetic communication and sensing science and engineering. CIARS uniquely integrated infrastructure will provide researchers with the widest spectrum of possibilities and the shortest path from idea to implementation and test.
CIARS is a world-class electromagnetic device and communication/sensing system development/characterization facility at the University of Waterloo. The facility was the result of an extensive infrastructure project led by Prof. Safieddin (Ali) Safavi-Naeini (Lead Applicant), Prof. S. K. Chaudhuri (Co-applicant) and other co-investigators from the University of Waterloo, University of Manitoba, University of Toronto, University of Simon Fraser, BlackBerry, CRC, and DRDC. CIARS infrastructure was primarily funded by the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI), the Ontario Research Fund (ORF), and BlackBerry.
The facility in-door labs are located at the newly constructed Engineering 5 building. All main CIARS instruments and setups can be accessed by remote users through web interface.
CIARS consists of five interconnected indoor laboratories, one outdoor lab, and a highly advanced computational facility:
• Electromagnetic Measurement Lab (ERL) : Electromagnetic anechoic chamber and near-field/far-field measurement setups as well as EMC-EMI Test lab, are located in E5-1018.
• RF/Microwave and Millimeter Wave System Lab, is located in E5-4028 – 4031.
• THz-Photonics and sub-millimeter-wave Integrated System Lab is located in E5-4034.
• Rapid Prototyping Lab (RPL): Hybrid Multi-layer Circuit and Antenna Prototype Fabrication Lab is located in E5-4001.
• On-Chip Lab : The Lab is located in E5-4034.
• Vehicular Mobile Radio Network Lab and Outdoor Test Road Track is located off–campus.
• High-performance computational facility.